Using the Workflow Designer¶
A workflow enables automated and repeated execution of a sequence of tasks, such as running a program, sending emails, uploading a file, running a transfer setting or batch, executing SQL scripts, and many others. To learn more about Workflow Tasks, click here.
Let’s look at how we can use the features provided by the workflow designer.
Creating a New Workflow¶
To create a new workflow, go to File > New > Workflow on the main menu. Alternatively, you can expand the Create New Dataflow dropdown icon on the main toolbar and select Workflow, as shown below.
Managing the Workflow Layout¶
When the workflow designer opens up, you can see the workflow toolbar below the Workflow1 tab.
In the following sections, let’s discuss these features and their functions.
- Undo/Redo – The workflow designer supports unlimited undo and redo capability. You can quickly undo/redo the last action done, or undo/redo several actions at once.
- Auto Layout Diagram – The Auto Layout feature allows you to arrange objects on the workflow improving its visual representation.
- Zoom – The Zoom feature helps you adjust the display size of the workflow. Additionally, you can select a custom zoom percentage by clicking on the Zoom % input box and typing in your desired value.
- Print – The Print feature allow you to print your created workflow.
- Expand All – The Expand All feature expands or enlarges the objects on the workflow improving the visual representation.
- Collapse All – The Collapse All feature closes or collapses the objects on the workflow, improving the visual representation and reducing clutter.
- Auto-Size All – The Auto-Size All feature resizes all the object in a manner where all fields of the expanded nodes are visible and empty area inside the object is cropped out.
- Use Orthogonal Links – The Use Orthogonal Links feature draws the link between objects in an orthogonal curve instead of a straight line.
- Replace Parameter Infos for All the Distinct Parameters – This feature displays all the distinct directories and connections used in the objects available on the workflow designer.
To invoke this feature, click the Replace Parameter Infos for All the Distinct Parameters icon on the workflow toolbar. Alternatively, you can open the workflow menu and select this feature.
A workflow can be ported to run in any number of target environments. Hence, you need to change the parameters values depending on the current context in which the workflow runs. This feature can be used to change all the distinct parameters without individually visiting the objects.
- Replace Parameter Infos Individually – This feature displays all the parameters that have been assigned to each object used in the workflow.
To invoke this feature, click the Replace Parameter Infos Individually icon on the workflow toolbar; you can open the workflow menu and select this feature.
This feature displays the objects that have been used in the workflow in a categorical structure – View by Category – and allows you to change the parameters by simply clicking and editing.